CFSEI to Host Webinar on Innovative Options with Cold-Formed Steel Floor Systems
- December 12, 2020
- Posted by: Alan Hageman
- Category: News
The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI) will host a webinar on “Floored: Innovative Options with Cold-Formed Steel (CFS) Floor Systems” on Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 3:00 pm EDT. The webinar is designed for architects, engineers, building officials and contractors. Participants are eligible for 1.5 PDHs.
Cold-formed steel framed floor systems used to be simple and straightforward, but the advent of ledger framing and load distribution members and composite CFS floor systems has sparked innovations in floor framing and how floors are built/supported/topped. New products are rapidly being developed that enable engineers to select economical and lightweight systems which can compete with the efficiencies of open-web bar joist and composite deck systems.
Webinar participants will learn how to:
- Design and detail joist and truss support systems that obviate alignment framing and provide more flexibility for field fixes and bearing wall openings.
- Evaluate a wide variety of floor topping materials that provide joist bracing, diaphragm strength and gravity load support.
- Consider options with wider-spaced joists or trusses, using the span capabilities of steel deck or steel-and-concrete systems.
- Consider composite design with CFS and concrete systems, including both deck and joists and combinations of these.
- Find additional resources on floor issues.
The webinar will be conducted by Don Allen, P.E., director of engineering for Super Stud Building Products Inc., where he oversees product development, testing, engineering and technical services. Allen has worked in the cold-formed steel framing industry since 1990 as a CFS specialty engineer, Engineer-of-Record and industry representative. He concurrently served for more than nine years as technical director for three associations in the cold-formed steel industry ─ the Steel Stud Manufacturers Association (SSMA), Steel Framing Alliance (SFA) and Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI). He chairs the Education Subcommittee of the American Iron and Steel Institute’s Committee on Framing Standards and Committee on Specifications. He was the recipient of the 2013 CFSEI Distinguished Service Award. He has given presentations on CFS in China, Colombia, Egypt, Hawaii and South Africa, and has been involved in design projects in North America, Africa and Europe.
More information on the webinar and registration is available at https://www.cfsei.org/.