CFSEI Announces 2019 Design Excellence and Innovative Detail Awards
- December 24, 2020
- Posted by: Alan Hageman
- Category: News
The Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute (CFSEI) presented six Design Excellence awards and one Innovative Detail award during the 2019 CFSEI Expo held June 4-6 at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago-Magnificent Mile in Chicago.
CFSEI Design Excellence Awards recognize projects that exemplify excellence in the structural design of new or renovated structures utilizing cold-formed steel products. Entries were judged on the basis of design creativity, technical innovation and overall project excellence in cold-formed steel utilization. Awards were presented in the residential/hospitality, municipal and commercial categories. The 2019 CFSEI Design Excellence Award winners are:
- First Place – The Rose Hotel Chicago O’Hare – Rosemont, Ill. – R.A. Smith Inc.
- Second Place – Dream Nashville Hotel – Nashville, Tenn. – R.A. Smith Inc.
- First Place – DC Water Headquarters – Washington, D.C. – ADTEK Engineers Inc.
- First Place – FrameTech Shop Structural Design – Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada – Martin/Martin Consulting Engineers
- Second Place – Citadel Self Storage – Louisville, Ky. – Structuneering Inc.
- Third Place – Apple Store Michigan Avenue – Chicago – R.A. Smith Inc.
The Innovative Detail Award recognizes a cold-formed steel detail that exemplifies creativity or ingenuity to solve a design challenge. The 2019 CFSEI Innovative Detail Award was presented to ADTEK Engineers Inc. for DC Water Headquarters in Washington, DC for the innovative cold-formed steel solutions devised to make straight lines curved for a challenging project.
“Each year, our award-winning projects raise the bar for innovative solutions to complex cold-formed steel design challenges,” said Maribeth Rizzuto, LEED AP – BD+C, managing director of the Cold-Formed Steel Engineers Institute. “Architects, engineers and owners will be inspired by these creative projects which demonstrate the beauty, versatility and cost-effectiveness of cold-formed steel design. As always, we appreciate all the entries that were submitted for this design competition.”