MBMA Announces Safety Award Winners
- May 1, 2021
- Posted by: Alan Hageman
- Category: News
The Metal Building Manufacturers Association (MBMA) annually honors member companies that demonstrate exceptional performance in maintaining workplace safety. These awards are given to Building Systems members as well as Associate members for their performance during the previous calendar year. Safety awards for the 2017 year were presented at the 2018 MBMA Spring Meeting held May 2-4 in San Antonio.
“We are committed to promoting workplace safety and these awards recognize those facilities that set an example for all of us,” says Dan Walker, PE, general manager of MBMA. “For our building systems members in 2017, 45 plant facilities participated in MBMA’s Quarterly OSHA Injury Statistics Program, logging over 11,000,000 hours on the job. Our associate member awards program, enacted in 2017, extends the focus on safety across the industry to our suppliers’ manufacturing facilities as well.”
MBMA members are dedicated to the safety of everyone who works in the metal building systems industry. As such, the organization is an advocate for safety programs that promote the well-being of everyone involved. “MBMA members strive to make the metal building industry a very safe place to build a career. The benefits to effective safety initiatives are many and include boosting employee morale, improving operations, and mitigating insurance risks and exposure to OSHA audits. MBMA is pleased to recognize safety best practices through these awards,” says Walker.
From the 45 manufacturing facilities nationwide that submitted data, seven awards were presented. MBMA’s award criteria stipulate that award recipient plants must have work-related accident and illness rates that are 50 percent or less than the OSHA-reported averages for the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code 332311 (prefabricated metal building and component manufacturing) compared to the prior year. Recipients of the 2017 Safety Performance Award achieved an incident rate of 1.6 or lower.
The MBMA Superior Safety Award was bestowed upon the four plants that achieved zero recordable cases for the 12-month period, which is a significant accomplishment. The Associate Member Awards went to three companies with facilities that achieved zero recordable cases for 2017, also a significant accomplishment.
Building Systems Member Awards
2017 Superior Safety Award – In recognition of having zero recordable incidents
• BlueScope Buildings North America Inc., Laurinburg, N.C.
• Dean Steel Buildings, Thomasville, Ga.
• Nucor Building Systems Inc., Swansea, S.C.
• Package Steel Systems, Sutton, Mass.
2017 Safety Performance Award – In recognition of having achieved an incident rate equal to 50 percent or less than the industry average as reported by OSHA
• American Buildings Co., Eufaula, Ala.
• BlueScope Buildings North America Inc., St. Joseph, Mo., and Annville, Pa.
Associate Member Awards
• Bay Insulation Systems, Baton Rouge, La.; Brooklyn Heights, Ohio; Dallas; Fridley, Minn.; Highpoint, N.C.; Houston; Indianapolis; Kansas City, Mo.; Sumner, Wash.; Louisville, Ky.; Memphis, Tenn.; Orlando, Fla.; Pensacola, Fla.; Raleigh, N.C.; Roanoke, Va.; San Marcos, Texas; St. Louis
• D.I. Roof Seamers, Corinth, Miss.
• PDL Building Products, Stockton, Calif., and North Olmsted, Ohio