NCCER updates curricula for sheet metal, environmentally conscious construction
- October 1, 2020
- Posted by: Alan Hageman
- Category: News
The National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) updated its curricula: “Sheet Metal: Levels 1 to 4,” and “Your Role in the Green Environment.” “Sheet Metal” contains the latest in tool technology and “Your Role in the Green Environment” meets version 4.1 of the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED rating system.
Updated for the first time since 2009, “Sheet Metal” includes information regarding computers and software used for sheet metal fabrication, estimating and construction documentation software, and 3D scanning. Specific training for field installers was incorporated in modules “Field measurements, Calculations, and Fittings” (04301), “Using Construction Drawings in Sheet Metal” (04308) and “Sheet Metal Job Specifications” (04305).
The curriculum contains a multi-craft component with material from other NCCER craft curricula including “Welding, Mechanical Insulating and HVAC.” Additionally, “Sheet Metal: Level 2” includes a large commercial drawing package to download.
“Your Role in the Green Environment” focuses on Building Design and Construction’s (BD+C) rating system and includes information about additional green building rating systems including Green Globes. Statistics throughout this curriculum were updated to reflect current scientific research and details regarding potential tradeoffs, such as between environmental benefits and human health and safety.
A team of 19 subject matter experts representing industry and academia contributed to the development of the training curricula to ensure they meet or exceed industry standards. Subject matter experts for “Sheet Metal” included:
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Eastern Pennsylvania Lehigh Valley
- ABC Florida Gulf Coast
- ABC Greater Baltimore
- ABC Keystone
- ABC San Diego
- Brian Cox Mechanical Inc., Poway, Calif.
- Mississippi Construction Education Foundation, Ridgeland, Miss.
- M. Nelson Barnes and Sons Inc., Cockeysville, Md.
- RK Mechanical Inc., Denver
Subject matter experts for “Your Role in the Green Environment” included:
- ABC Green Committee
- ABC Northern California
- Brazosport College, Lake Jackson, Texas
- Flint Energy Services Inc., Tulsa, Okla.
- Flintco LLC, Tulsa, Okla.
- University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla.
- M.E. Rinker, Sr. School of Construction Management, Gainesville, Fla.
- Virginia Tech, Myers-Lawson School of Construction, Blacksburg, Va.
For more information, visit www.nccer.org/curricula.